Wednesday, October 21, 2009

We also have dignity. Should keep it

When it comes to Israelis, Arab hospitality makes ridiculous jokes. Islamic Arab spokesmen repeatedly hurt us, but we return to grovel before them understanding their mentality

Yariv Ben-Eliezer

Ten years ago I was sent to Cairo by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to meet members of the media and academics, and exchange opinions with them. I came to Cairo full of good will, to engage in dialogue with defined personalities I support Israel. I met daily with academics and communication articulate opinionated. At every meeting, they mowed the State of Israel and me personally, and did it in condescending and arrogant tone I did not expect the Egyptians will get hugs and kisses. I understand the significance of the cold peace, so I expected proper, fair and business like conduct, on the part of my party to the discussions in Cairo. Unfortunately, I was very mistake: my party to the discussions apparently believed that hospitality and friendship with Israel means sharp and vulgar criticism of Israel, without any attempt to find even one point in Israel favor

If to describe the situation in a pictorial manner: each evening I felt as if my blood rushes to my head from the insult, but I swallowed my saliva not to hurt my hosts. On the last evening before my return to Israel, I met members of an Egyptian research institute some of which were former generals. One retired generals defied in front of me: "How You expect normalization with Egypt, when every day we see on television how you hurt our Palestinian brothers?”

Here I could not resist. “Sirs, do you have children?" I asked, "Sure," replied the man proudly. "Do you stay awake, when your children go to have good time in the evening, worried that they will, heaven forbid, blow up in a bus or a nightclub?" I asked. "Of course not,” answered the proud Egyptian father.” "Unlike you, I worry all the time that my children will return home unharmed" I described to him. “Therefore, you have no right to judge me or patronize me," I protested angrily. Father - General apologized lamely, but all other participants flatly dismissed me with aloof coldness.

Dirty foot

I returned to Israel angry and ashamed. Although I am a leftist in my views, but political moderation does not require me to kiss the hand that slaps my cheek again and again. Therefore, following the visit to Cairo, I vowed that I will never return to visit Egypt. I believe that manners should be a two way street in human and international relations.

The Egyptians probably do not agree with me: They sent us a macho ambassador, who tries to impose himself on dancer who was invited to an event at the Egyptian embassy. The ambassador went scot-free from the rape attempt. More so, all the Israelis who came into contact with him flattered him constantly and humiliated themselves in front of him. It was not long since the horny Egyptian returned to his native country Egypt, to join, in loud voice, the defaming Israel chorus. In contrast, Israel’s ambassador to Egypt was isolated and intimidated as if he was a political leper.

Official media

The official media advertise anti-Jewish propaganda the "Stürmer” style. "Representative of Egyptian culture" threatens to burn every book in Hebrew, and no one speaks up or beeps. But Ytzpan imitates Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian President feels hurt and he declares "annoyance” on us. Egyptian intellectuals and journalists declare, from every possible podium, that they hate Israel despise Jews, but Israeli journalists "understand” in their coverage the “sensitivity” approach towards the Egyptians.

When it comes to Israelis, Arab hospitality turns to be ridiculous jokes and so the farce continues: Islamic and Arabs spokesmen repeatedly hurt us over and over again, but we return to grovel before them with the "understanding" of their mentality. The belief among us is that we should forgive in advance the "respective" Arabs and let them trample our honor with gross heavy foot.

I will not visit an Arab country

I apologize to any Arab leader with respect, but I do not want his love. I have no interest in visiting any Arab country. Of course I am considering visiting Turkey its Prime Minister endlessly curses us, even if I offer me a visit "All Inclusive.” I reject the stupid idea that the punk from Turkey will mediate in the conflict between Israel and Syria. If he is an impartial mediator - explain to me whoever elected hi what on earth the definition of objectivity is.

I despise the arrogant behavior of Arab leaders in totalitarian failing states. Let them first take care of their social and political problems, the poverty, ignorance, Islamic fanaticism, terrorism and discrimination against women, before they preach to with false righteousness, trying to teach us a chapter in justice and morality.

I despise the Arab leaders’ trappings of honor and their baseless arrogance. I have had enough of the Israeli appeasement in front of the “Arab squire” vagary. The time has come that we reconcile with the fact that we live in the Middle East and we internalize the rules of conduct accepted here. Against the Arabs games of honor we need to make it clear to them that we also have dignity and we intend to preserve it with pride and determination
Guest Comment: They say that when one gives a finger they will want the entire hand; when you expose one cheek, they will slap both cheeks…this is what Israel has been doing with the “peace” it holds with Egypt. The Egyptians defecate (shit) on Israel's door steps, then they ask for toilet paper, Israel gives them the toilet paper, then they leave the scene leaving behind them a stink that lasts forever.--Nurit

--------------------------

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=iw&u=http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART1/944/842.html&ei=pbTeSs_6AY6sswPt0fjZDw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&

No comments: