Friday, June 05, 2009

Another side of Israel you never hear bout

GS Don Morris, Ph.D.

"I needed to escape from the ongoing rants and abuses of facts. A good friend invited me to an evening of cheer in a new microbrewery located a mere 25 minutes away in Tel Aviv. I have lived in Israel for the better part of 10 years and was enthusiastic to hear of a microbrewery in Tel Aviv-it was news to me. The name of the place is “The dancing Camel” and immediately upon entry into the establishment you feel at home." It has been a most interesting day here in Israel. The long awaited Obama speech to the Muslim world was finally delivered. Everyone has an opinion. I watched the speech on three different channels, including Al Jazeera. The after the speech shows were the most interesting. The pundits for the most part followed the “party line.” One can only listen, watch, hear and read so much of the nonsense that is presented to the public as information. Most of it represents the local agenda or local political explanation. Suffice it to say, nothing new was stated. The tone was of interest to those of us living in Israel and we understand that the USA is under new management.

I needed to escape from the ongoing rants and abuses of facts. A good friend invited me to an evening of cheer in a new microbrewery located a mere 25 minutes away in Tel Aviv. I have lived in Israel for the better part of 10 years and was enthusiastic to hear of a microbrewery in Tel Aviv-it was news to me. The name of the place is “The dancing Camel” and immediately upon entry into the establishment you feel at home. The young folks who served us were friendly, smiling, knowledgeable and eager to assist. One of the servers is studying to become a nurse-during the course of the early evening I discovered she comes from a family of medical servers and she is pursuing her dream of helping others-she wants to become a nurse.

The owner, CEO, brew master and all around nice man, David Cohen greets you at the bar, talks with you and eases you into your seat. A most congenial young man, former CPA who moved to Israel and is realizing his dream now: owner/operator of a microbrewery that serves his clients with impeccable taste. I tried a sampler of all the beers he brews-every single one was superb and I can recommend all of them. Truth is I left with a bag of beer products to enjoy until next I return to the “Dancing Camel.”

The food, limited menu, is also outstanding and complements the beer menu. The evening really moved forward when the 4-piece band, drummer, two guitarists and the lead performer, a saxophone player, took over the room. Such skilled musicians you cannot find in even the most prestigious of hotels any where in the world. The lead performer was a retired IDF colonel-does he know his music and plays 4 different types of saxophone all with equal ability.

There was no political talk, no sense of impending upset over speeches made earlier in the day. Rather, the staff of the “Dancing Camel” set the mood and I recommend you visit when you are next in Israel. More information is available at” www.dancingcamel.com

I am home now, settling in for a quick sleep-tomorrow brings new challenges, you see I live in Israel and am proud to say so-please come visit us, we are waiting for you.

No comments: