Friday, August 20, 2010

Questioning the motivation behind the criticism

Dr. Matania Ginosar

Some may say I have a right to criticize Israel when I feel it has done something wrong. After all, they say, you helped create Israel; you joined the Lechi, most dangerous underground against the British, at 15 and served almost five years until liberation. Instead of enjoying your youth, sport and fun you chose to risk your life. You were arrested, twice. You helped start a new border kibbutz near Gaza while several of your friends were murdered there. You served in the Israeli Air Force too. All true, but then I left Israel to study electronics in the US. I continued my love of Israel but after ten years here I decided that to preserve my family I would stay and become an American citizen. My right to criticize Israel as an insider stopped with this difficult decision. I was no longer an Israeli. I was not subjected to the same risks and same conditions Israelis were facing. My sons were not facing active military duty and my home was not facing rocket attacks

I continued to love Israel deeply but it was a distant love affair, an affair that does not give direct benefit to Israel. I was here while Israel needed me there to contribute to its growth and the defense of the country.

I do not say I have no right to my feelings and ideas about Israel. I may disapprove and even be angry at some of the misdirection I see there sometimes. I can say what I want and scream too, but I have no special right to claim that since I was an Israeli I have the right to pressure Israel or oppose decisions by the people of Israel. I am an outside observer. I also have no special right because I am a Jew. I am not facing the dangerous situation there and I am not risking any skin of mine when Israel decides on one course of action or another. Obviously American Jews or non-Jews have no moral right to dictate to Israel how to behave.

Just one example of how different is our reaction from the Israelis. In 2004 I was in Israel when the Palestinians destroyed two Israeli armored vehicles and played football with the heads of the dead Israeli soldiers. And they showed it with glee on their TV. Israel was in shock, how could they defile the dead with joy? All Israeli radio and TV were concentrated on this desecrating "football game." But the Israelis did not want to show the Palestinian TV movie that celebrated that macabre football game. I felt very strongly that it should be shown globally so people could grasp the joy of killing that Palestinian terrorists demonstrated on their TV to great applauds of their Arab audience. The Israelis, however, decided not to show it in respect for the dead and their families. Yet, every American Jew I have discussed it with said they never heard about this case and Israel should have shown it to explain the mentality of Palestinian extremists and their supporters.

It has puzzles me for many years how some good, caring liberal American Jews [and non - Jews], have set a very high moral standards for Israel and do their upmost to hold Israel to these standards, while holding all other countries, including the US itself, to minimal moral standards. For example, the amount of mistaken civilian killing by UN and US forces in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan is many times the unintended civilian deaths that Israel had.
I wonder what is it that drives these caring, good, moral people to concentrate almost all their attention on Israeli collateral deaths? Why they forget that Israel is responding to relentless attacks by Palestinian terrorists?

Not only that, Israelis are defending their OWN civilians while the US and UN civilians are NOT under continuous and direct attacks? Almost every Israeli has relatives or friends who died or injured in the various Arab attacks on Israel. How many Americans share this agony?

When a Jew feels he/she has the right to organize pressure on Israel, or to attempt to reduce US support of Israel, or even send money to organizations whose sole aims are to weaken Israel, I wonder what is driving that person?

There is so much anti-Semitism who is disguises as anti Israeli propaganda around the world. These anti- Semite use the extreme critical views of some Jews to justify their attacks. "You see, even their own Jewish brothers condemn Israel."

Are these Jews expecting Israel to risk its future to satisfy their own dreams of a peaceful world?
Are they carrying some guilt? Are they trying to be more religious than the Pope?
I never heard a reasonable answer to this question.

What is this compulsion to attack Israel?

No comments: