Friday, April 30, 2010

Reading Rules for Radicals


Michael van der Galien


A couple of weeks ago, I decided to do something I should have done when then-Senator Barack Obama announced he’d run for president : I ordered a copy of Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals.

Of course I realize that Alinsky isn’t exactly the most beloved author and activist among my fellow conservatives. He was a radical progressive who helped taught like-minded individuals how to force their progressive plans upon the rest of the nation. Although I’m not exactly a fan of the man either, the reality of the situation is that he inspired and continues to inspire many progressives. Barack Obama taught Alinsky’s concepts and methods in workshops. Without his mentor’s strategy chances are Obama would never have been president. And Obama isn’t the only progressive greatly influenced by Alinsky. Hillary Clinton was inspired by this godfather of community organizing as well, for instance. We can be certain that Rules for Radicals serves as the political bible for many others like these two influential progressives.

Which brings me to my main reason for reading this book: to defeat one’s enemy, one has to know one’s enemy… and his strategies. You can’t fight the progressive movement if you don’t understand what they’re trying to accomplish and how they go about it.

That’s not all, however. I believe conservatives should not only learn about but also from progressives and their methods. Alinsky’s rules can be used against progressives, just as they’ve been used against us.

I’ll read a bit in Rules for Radicals every day and will share my findings with all of you: the more conservatives understand Alinsky, the better.

No comments: