Friday, September 06, 2013

Because it cannot be replayed!

Rosh Hashanah 2014 5774 - Nurit Greenger
When I listen to the radio, which is often, sometimes I miss an important word or a sentence, or two. I then look to find the remote control that will rewind what I have missed but there it is impossible, there is none.
When I watch playful children in the park I often see what they do as “cute” But their actions pass by so quickly I think of the remote control for replay. Then I realize there is none.
When I see a shooting star, or a remarkable sunset, or a stunningly beautiful skies, I reach for the remote control so I can experience it again and again. But, then I realize there is none.

I am so used to replaying segments of the T.V. that I have gotten used to not paying full attention to what I watch because I know I can rewind and rerun it if I have missed a word, a sentence.
This behavior has spilled over into my daily life. It can be frustrating to miss so much and not be able to get it back.
Rosh Hashanah reminds me that years come and go, and life does not come with a remote control. There is no pausing, no rewinding, no stopping the action. Only the progression exists and it is inevitable.
On Rosh Hashanah may we remind each other to be more attentive to all that is around us the first time around.
Because it cannot be replayed.

No comments: